Thursday, June 21, 2007

Random Coincidence

The strangest thing happened a couple of days ago at breakfast.

Three white girls were sitting at a table, and one got up to walk to the fruit, and had to go past our table. She had on a University of Guelph shirt, and I was so surprised that I stopped her to ask if it was the U of G in Ontario.

It was.

The three of them are second year veterinary students there, and are here to help the thesis of a University of Nairobi student.

For those of you that don't know, Guelph is a university maybe an hour from Western, where Neil and I go, and it is where my brother is going, and where Neil's mother went.

I was flabbergasted. I kept asking Neil "How many people in the world? 10 Billion? What are the odds?"

I mean, we are in the boonies here, a small town in Western Kenya described by our travel guide as having "no real reason to stay here." The sheer coincidence of the meeting is nuts.

They, however, seemed less impressed. Give them a month of seeing almost no white people, let alone fellow western Ontario university students, and then we'll see how they feel!

Lots of love,
Courtney

6 comments:

Adriana said...

Wow, that is quite the coincidence.
Pete is notorious for running into people he knows in strange places. We were in the Vancouver airport and we saw a guy he did a play with in London a few years prior.

Anonymous said...

Graham's in Ottawa right now. I'll tell him as soon as he gets home. How freaky is that! The older you get, the more you realize you shouldn't do anything naughty because it's a fact that Karma will get you and someone you know will be standing right beside you when you do it.
Love
Mom
PS Court, do you remember my gmail account and password? Just wondering...such a mommy question, don't you think?

Maureen said...

Was out to dinner with friends last night. One of them, Pat, was sitting in a restaurant in Calgary watching the Stampede. A fellow asked if he could join her since her table had a good view. They got to talking and he said he was from Sudbury. Turns out he had lived on the same street as she used to. Also, same address and same apartment. I kid you not. Now that's a small world! (and for those skeptics out there... they both knew about its black enamel bathtub. )

Anonymous said...

Yeah, crazy shit like that happens more than you think. We were on a dock in China with the only white people we had seen in 2 weeks, and as we all got to talking, two of them realized their parents were next door neighbours, so they made plans to have tea when they got home. Yes, they were English.

Remind me again when you guys are coming back to London? August something?

Unknown said...

not to be outdone...
It was September, 1968. London, England. I was standing in line with a friend outside of the Shaftsbury Theatre waiting to get in to the opening night of HAIR. I turned around and who should be right behind us but my next door neighbour from Whitby, Chris Cuddy. In fact, I knew him really well. Our family had moved in with his during Hurricane Hazel. Their house was better.

Adriana said...

I remembered another couple of instances of things like that happening.
When I was in Ireland two years ago I bought an Aran sweater on my birthday from a woman who had grown up in Sudbury!
Our cousin Judith told me a story about being in Australia on vacation and randomly running into her next door neighbours.

It seems to happen way more often than it should. Maybe really are only 500 people in the world so you're always running into people that you know :)