Monday, July 9, 2007

Zoom in on his face... see how happy he is?!?!




This weekend we spent the coldest two hours I can remember in a pool teaching Ephy’s three kids to swim. Now, if Neil and I were cold, just imagine how bad it was for these guys. Their whole bodies were shaking and shivering. Not conducive to floating, that’s for sure.

It went as well as I expected, seeing as none of them have ever even been in the water before. First we taught blowing bubbles, which was not too successful at first, and I think they were convinced that we were just trying to make them choke. We must learn how to say “blow out, not in!” in Kiswahili before the next lesson.

Next time I’m going to drag them all to the deeper part, where they can’t put their hands down and touch the bottom to stop them from sinking while I’m trying to get them to float. They are, understandably, wary of the deeper bit. And wary of me, as I let them drop down a couple of times by mistake. I have to give it to them though; they’re troopers, keeping at it.

It was so cold. So, so, so, so cold. That’s probably what they’re going to remember the most. But they told Ephy that they had a great time, so I’m hoping we go again. When it’s sunny.

The best part was when I did a couple of laps to warm up, and came back to the three kids imitating me, kind of kick and swinging one arm around, while pulling themselves along the bottom with the other. It was really amusing.

I spent Sunday kinda ill, just vaguely nauseous and sleepy. I only have myself to blame though, as I went off chicken this past week, having seen one fall asleep in someone’s arms. How cute is that?!? Too cute to eat, I said. Anyway, after a week of not much protein, and having forgotten my multivitamins at work on Wednesday, I assume my unhappiness resulted from that. So I ate chicken last night, and I feel a different kind of unhappy. So much for Kenya resolving my not eating meat!

Other than that, Friday was spent with Neil happily going through papers and reports at KAMADEP, another NGO here, finding information for his research project. I tried to help at first, and then realized I was mostly just in the way, and read a book. He was able to bust out some facts and figures when one of out American friends here asked about birth rates and such. It was cool.

And speaking of him busting out stuff, his Kiswahili is coming along. He can have whole little conversations with pleasantries, and is able to translate an astounding number of words. He amused people by counting things in Kiswahili the other day. I am most proud.

Well, we’re at work again, and Neil has gone of to KAMADEP to transfer files from a hard drive, since CABDA’s one and only monitor has blown something, and is dead. I should go do something useful too!

Talk to you later, and I hope that all is well back home!

Lots of love,
Courtney

p.s.: More photos of the cutest kid ever to tide you over! (And by that I mean the little guy in blue, not Neil.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kids
What wonderful pictures! He is such a cutie!! In the first few pictures on your blog, I wondered if people were OK having you there, but now you're both starting to look like part of the landscape. Court, I think you should take a page from Neil's fashion book and up the colour quotient a bit. I'm sorry you don't like eating pet chickens. That would be unpleasant. However, if you have trouble eating meat, just think of grandma's nasty chickens. Good on you with the Kiswahili, Neil. Love you both tons.

Adriana said...

It's too bad the water was cold but at least the kids had fun. I hope you pick a warmer day next time.
Neil's ability with language never ceases to amaze me.
Good luck with the whole chicken thing. Believe me, I definitely feel your pain.
I've been sick this past week so I haven't had any chicken since June. Tonight we're having fajitas!

Cleo wants to know if you'll bring her back an ostrich. Have you seen any? I guess a monkey would do in a pinch.