Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Hiccups and haircuts



I don’t know about you guys, but I cannot believe that it’s July already. Time has flown by, and I’m not sure where it’s gone. I can only imagine that the second half of this trip will go even faster than the first.



We had another lazy and relaxed weekend, which was lovely. After 5 days of work, being able to sit for hours on a veranda playing checkers and reading, feeling the warm breeze flowing towards us from the trees, it was a most welcome break.



Florence, the Nairobi University student, has a new girl with her, just a young thing fresh out of high school, and they came and sat with us for a while, and we had a nice chat about eating vegetarian here. Florence also gave Neil a Kiswahili lesson, which was fun to listen to.



The only thing that spoiled the lovely day was a very large rat or mouse that climbed up the wall beside us, freaking me right out.



Speaking if the guest house, we were shown a lovely bunch of open air huts in a garden behind a building. Some people take supper there, but I would feel guilty getting the staff to carry my supper down the hill. It would be a lovely place for drinks though… maybe next weekend.



Health wise, we’re both fine and healthy, although I’m bruising like a peach (ie: very easily), making the bumpy rides out to the field work quite problematic. Neil’s only complaint was a case of hiccups that lasted, on and off, from Sunday noon to Monday morning. I’ve never seen hiccups wake anyone up before, but Neil managed it.



We also cut Neil’s hair, which was interesting, as there are no electrical plugs in the bathroom, and he had to trust me not to bald him. Luckily, it all worked out, and he looks very handsome, if I do say so myself.





Monday was good, work and then home, trying to get there before the rainstorm started, which we managed. Although, Neil had to go beg our neighbour for some onions, as we were out, and he really wanted latkes (yes, we make them here!), and as he walked back he was slowly followed by the rain, which was moving in, and getting harder. How neat is that?





And this morning there were 20 kids in the breakfast room, from all over the US, part of a group called "Global Roots". Not sure what they were about. Neil mentioned that he hadn't felt this awkward in a room full of white people for a while, but I asked when the last time he was in a room with 20 9th graders. He conceded it was in 9th grade. Anyway, hopefully they won't be to noisy or annoying!

Sorry we haven't been able to get more photos up. Honestly, the internet here is pretty off and on. I'll keep adding one to each blog though!!! Here's Neil with a really cute kid during one of the interviews he's doing.



Well, more later! Have a great week!
Lots of love,


Courtney

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kids
Loved the picture of Neil! He looks so big next to that little guy. The grass looks pretty good. You must be able to grow quite a few sustainable crops there.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are both in better health as you move into the final half of your stay in Africa. It is good to hear that you are making some nice memories and have managed to keep home close by with the latkes(sp?) (makes me hungry..)
Anyways, we send you both warm thoughts from Canada and look forward to hearing from you again.

ps-thats some crazy run of hickups you had there Neil, I can't imagine being put through that.

Sorry my note is so "contentless" I don't have much to say, but did want to let you know we are following you along with you in your African Journey.

I'll leave a note in the Facebook Inbox shortly with some stuff thats gone on with us.

Take Care,

Ian

Maureen said...

Hi Neil and Courtney,
At last we are connected to the internet. Checked your blog first thing. Easy bruising could mean you need more vitamin C Courtney. Is that possible? If so it would be an easy fix.

Unknown said...

I want to squeeze that little boy into oblivion!

SUCH a good photo :)